We’re big fans of GreenSquare Tavern in Chelsea (read our review). Here’s chef John Marsh’s recipe for butternut squash soup — perfect for a cold winter day.
Chef John Marsh’s Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe is vegan, but for an incredibly rich vegetarian composition, replace the coconut oil with sweet butter. Marsh recommends using all organic ingredients from your own or your trusted farmer’s garden.
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into one inch dice
- 1 lb. sweet potato or yam, peeled and cut into one inch dice
- 1 lb. white onion cut into one inch dice
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 6 cups filtered water
- Over a medium flame in a large stainless steel pot sauté the onions in the coconut oil.
- When the onions are soft add the yam, butternut squash and the water. Bring all to a simmer an cook until the solids are tender; 15 minutes to 1 hour.
- Carefully pass all in a blender and return to the pot.
- Season with grey sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Some like a couple of scrapes of nutmeg to season the soup as well.
Photo by Flickr user missmeng